Friday, August 29, 2008

#2

Two years ago, I was appointed as the chairperson of the NUS Cue Sports Sub Club. My responsibilities involve deciding about training venues and dates, organizing of competitions, committee meeting, etc. Of course the most important part of my job is to give everyone in my committee a fair share of workload. There was some misunderstanding that happened during this one year when I was in-charge of the club.
Matriculation fair was the first event that I had to handle. Cue Sports was given a booth to set up at the Matriculation Fair to promote the CCA to the freshmen and get them to sign up for it. I will have to decide on the setting up of the booth and dedicate equal amount of commitment to each committee as manpower is needed to be station at the booth. The task of dedicating manpower was a difficult one. Some of my committees voiced that they will not be free during that period as they are having some camps, overseas trips, etc during our meeting. Therefore, I only dedicated the task to those who are able to help out. I ended having to be at the booth for all the four days which the Matriculation Fair was held. My good friend who was in the committee had to come along to help me out as the rest was only able to help out like half a day out of the four days. My good friend ended up complaining to me that the rest of the committee is too slack. I assured him that I will make sure that the rest of the committee will do their part once the training sessions begin. But when the training sessions begin, the same group of people did not help out as they have lessons which clashes with the training session. They ended up quarreling over it in our yahoo groups’ forums. At that point, I did not know what to do to help.What will you do???

5 comments:

Travis Neo said...

Your story seems like one of selfish people. Your good friend and yourself, can sacrifice free time for your hobby and yet they cannot? It is all about prioritizing. Everybody loves something and can give up other stuff for it. They wish only to enjoy and leave the dirty work to others. Reminds us quite alot about army right?..haha..all the "arrows" to avoid.

M. said...

I think its all about time management. Explain to the other committee members that you know that everyone is busy with either school work or other activities. But since they are part of the club, they should make an effort to help out. For example, if training sessions are twice a week, they should at least make an effort to come for one of the sessions. Let them know that it is not possible for the two of you (you and your friend) to oversee everything. You need their assistance and it would be great if they could turn up for training sessions.
Hopefully this helps. (:

Miko said...

Yeah i agree with travis. What is this man? If they are so busy, why are they joining the club in the first place? Just to have fun and relax? Then just be an ordinary member lah! You as the chair person should talk to the rest of the committee and make sure they understand what is the role of a committee member. If they don't understand, ask them to remember that there is a word call commit in the word committee. Everybody is busy, i'm sure your friend and you are busy too. You should hold a talk with the rest of the members and talk to them. Busy as it is, there will still be time if we make time. Another issue would be it seems to me that the rest of the committee is not united to work as a team. If they have the passion to serve their hobby and build a sense of belonging and identity with the rest and the club, they would wanna work as a team and make the club a successful one. They would wanna make it a priority to go for trainings and help out at fairs. Looks like there is a need for some bonding and igniting of passion so that they would function as a team. Chairman, you need to build relationships, not just the admin stuff that you need to handle. =)

Brad Blackstone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brad Blackstone said...

Dear Jason,

This is a decent post. The scenario is fitting for this assignment. However, your verb tense usage is very weak. All of the following sentences and phrases have tense problems, and overall your usage is not consistent! Why are you using future tense in a past setting as this example shows?

" I will have to decide on the setting up of the booth and dedicate equal amount of commitment to each committee as manpower is needed to be station at the booth."

In this example you need present perfect:

"...this one year when I was(SINCE I HAVE BEEN) in-charge of the club."

Mixing past and present or future? (oh dear)

"My good friend **ended up** complaining to me that the rest of the committee **is** too slack."

I assured him that I **will make** sure that the rest of the committee will do their part once the training sessions begin.

Here you need the hypothetical!

"What will (WOULD) you do???"

You need to pay more attention to verb tense usage. This problem could haunt you. Do you have a blogging buddy?

Thanks for the effort!